This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
- 1.Eight cases of Friedländer pneumonia are described, 6 of which recovered.
- 2.These 8 cases were all seen within a period of thirteen months (December 31, 1948, to January 31, 1950).
- 3.Five of the 6 survivors were cured by streptomycin after penicillin treatment had failed.
- 4.One patient, in whom the pneumo-bacillus was partially sensitive to penicillin, was cured by penicillin alone.
- 5.The 2 patients who died both did so suddenly and unexpectedly, after several days of well-being and normal temperature had succeeded an apparent response to streptomycin.
- 6.In 1 of the fatal cases a lung abscess was found at autopsy, in the right upper lobe; and in the other, an abscess in the right lower lobe was suspected clinically. No other lung abscess was diagnosed, clinically or radiologically.
- 7.Of the 8 cases, the disease was confined to the lower lobes in 6, although multilobar infection occurred in 5.
- 8.The leucocyte count was high in 4 cases, but in 2 of these evidence of suppuration was present.
- 9.It is suggested that the sulphonamide treatment given by the home doctor may have slowed, or temporarily checked, the progress of the disease, thus accounting for the fact that 3 of the 8 patients were less seriously ill than those described in the literature.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Respiratory Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Textbook of Medicine. W.B. Saunders and Co., 1947: 338-340 7th edition.
- Arch. intern. Med. 1941; 67: 907
- Indian J. Med. Res. 1935; 23: 337
- Radiology. 1949; 53: 559
- J. Amer. Med. Ass. 1950; 144: 12
- Amer. J. Roentgenol. 1949; 62: 211
© 1951 Published by Elsevier Inc.