Role for macrolides
- Fonseca-Aten M.
- Okada P.J.
- Bowlware K.L.
- Chavez-Bueno S.
- Mejias A.
- Rios A.M.
- et al.
Role for nebulised antibiotics
|Study (Reference)||Study design||Number of subjects||Duration of study||Antibiotic||Outcomes|
|Amayasu et al.|
|Randomised DBPC Crossover study||17 adult subjects with mild-to-moderate atopic asthma||8 weeks||CRM|
|Black et al.|
|Randomised DBPC||219 asthmatic subjects with serological evidence of C. pneumoniae infection as demonstrated by IgG and IgA antibody titres||6 weeks||RXM|
|Kamada et al.|
|Randomised DBPC Gp A: TDM + MP; Gp B: TDM + prednisolone; Gp C: placebo + MP||19 children (6–17 yrs) with OCS-dependent asthma (OCS tapering study)||12 weeks||TDM|
|Kostadima et al.|
|Randomised DBPC of Gp A: CRM b.i.d.; Gp B: CRM t.i.d.; Gp C: placebo||75 adult subjects with mild persistent asthma||8 weeks||CRM|
|Kraft et al.|
|Randomised DBPC||55 adult subjects with moderate persistent asthma (31 with evidence of C. pneumoniae or M. pneumoniae infection)||6 weeks||CRM|
|Nelson et al.|
|Randomised DBPC of TDM + MP vs. placebo + MP||75 adult asthmatic subjects with severe persistent asthma (OCS tapering study)||52 weeks (single blind for 52 weeks for 57 subjects [TDM n = 30; Placebo n = 27]||TDM|
|Shoji et al.|
|Randomised DBPC Crossover study||14 adult subjects with aspirin-intolerant mild/moderate asthma||8 weeks||RXM|
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Gomez J.
- Banos V.
- Simarro E.
- Lorenzo Cruz M.
- Ruiz Gomez J.
- Latour J.
- et al.
- Seemungal T.A.
- Wilkinson T.M.
- Hurst J.R.
- Perera W.R.
- Sapsford R.J.
- Wedzicha J.A.
- Seemungal T.A.
- Wilkinson T.M.
- Hurst J.R.
- Perera W.R.
- Sapsford R.J.
- Wedzicha J.A.
|Study||Study design||Number of subjects||Duration of study||Antibiotic||Outcomes|
|Albert et al.|
|Randomised placebo control study||1577||12 months||Azithromycin250 mg daily|
|He et al.|
|Randomised DPBC trial||36||6 months||Erythromycin125 mg three times daily|
|Blasi et al.|
|Randomised uncontrolled trial||22||6 months||Azithromycin 500 mg three times a week|
|Seemungal et al.|
Long-term erythromycin therapy is associated with decreased chronic obstructive pulmonary disease exacerbations.
Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2008 Dec 1; 178 ([Randomized Controlled Trial Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't]): 1139-1147
|Randomised DPBC trial||109||12 months||Erythromycin250 mg twice daily|
|Banerjee et al.|
|Prospective Randomised DPBC trial||67||3 months||Clarithromycin 500 mg once daily|
|Sethi et al.|
|Randomised DPBC trial||1157||48 months||6 courses of Moxifloxacin 400 mg OD for 5 days|
Cystic fibrosis (CF)
|Study||Study design||Number of subjects||Duration|
|Saiman et al.|
|Randomised Placebo controlled||185(87 treatment group)||6 months||Azithromycin||Improved FEV1, reduced number of exacerbations,|
|Wolter et al.|
|Randomised placebo controlled||60 adult CF patients||3 months||Azithromycin||No decline in FEV1, fewer courses of IV antibiotics, decline in C reactive protein, improvement in QOL|
|Kabra et al.|
|Randomised controlled||56 children||12 months||Azithromycin low dose 5 mg/kg/day compared with high dose 15 mg/kg/day||No difference in clinical score, FEV1 and pulmonary exacerbation rates between the two groups|
|Hodson et al.|
|Randomised controlled||115||4 weeks||Nebulised colomycin compared with nebulised tobramycin||Both treatments reduced bacterial load. Nebulised tobramycin improved lung function in CF patients chronically colonised with P. aeruginosa|
|Ramsey et al.|
|Randomised placebo controlled||520||24 weeks||Nebulised tobramycin||Improvement in pulmonary function, decrease in the density of P. aeruginosa in sputum, decreased risk of hospitalization|
|McCoy et al.|
|Randomised controlled||211||28 days||Inhaled aztreonam solution||Improvement in pulmonary function and respiratory symptoms|
|Retsch-Bogart et al.|
|Randomised placebo controlled||164||28 days||Inhaled aztreonam solution||Improvement in pulmonary function and respiratory symptoms|
|Oermann et al.|
|Open label||274||18 moths||Inhaled aztreonam solution||Clinical benefits in pulmonary function, health-related quality of life, and weight|
|Ledson et al.|
|Randomised double blinded cross over||20||4 weeks||Inhaled taurolidine||No change in B. cepacia colony count or spirometry, nor symptom score|
|Frederiksen et al.|
|Comparison with historical control||48 patients compared with 43 control||44 moths||Inhalation of colistin and oral ciprofloxacin||16% of the treated patients developed chronic P. aeruginosa infection compared with 72% of the control patients (P < 0.005), improvement in lung function|
|Gibson et al.|
|Randomised double blind||21||28 days||Inhaled tobramycin||Reduction in P. aeruginosa density|
|Geller et al.|
|Randomised placebo controlled||151||28 days||Inhaled ciprofloxacin||Reduction in P. aeruginosa density, improvement in pulmonary function (FEV1), reduction in need for anti-pseudomonal antibiotics|
- Bilton D.
- Serisier D.J.
- De Soyza A.T.
- Wolfe R.
- Bruinenberg P.
- Barker A.F.
- Couch L.
- Fiel S.B.
- Gotfried M.H.
- Ilowite J.
- Meyer K.C.
- et al.
|Study||Study design||Number of subjects||Duration of study||Antibiotic||Outcomes|
|Murray et al.|
|Randomised placebo controlled trial||65||12 months||Neb gentamicin 80 mg twice daily|
|Orriols et al.|
|Open labelled study||17||12 months||Neb ceftazidime 1 gm bd & Neb tobramycin 100 mg bd or placebo|
|Drobnic et al.|
|Double blind placebo controlled crossover trial||30||6 months||Nebulised tobramycin 300 mg twice daily|
|Yalcin et al.|
|Randomised placebo controlled||34 (children)||3 months||Clarithromycin 15 mg/kg|
|Davies et al.|
|Prospective open labelled||39||10 months||Azithromycin 250 mg three times weekly|
|Currie et al.|
|Randomised placebo controlled||38||32 weeks||Amoxicillin 39 twice daily|
- Bilton D.
- Serisier D.J.
- De Soyza A.T.
- Wolfe R.
- Bruinenberg P.
Diffuse panbronchiolitis (DPB)
|Study||Study design||Number of subjects||Duration of study||Antibiotic used||Outcomes|
|Akira et al.|
|Observational RCT of efficacy of macrolide treatment||19 subjects (12 active treatment and 7 no treatment)||Not specified||Erythromycin|
|Kudoh et al.|
|Retrospective observational survival study based on year of diagnosis||498 subjects(Gp A: 1970–79 [only std ABx avail} [n = 190]; Gp B: 1980–84 [quinolones avail][n = 221]; Gp C: 1985–90 (Erythromycin avail} [n = 87])||N/A||Erythromycin|
|Yamamoto et al.|
|Retrospective observational study comparing quinolone vs. macrolide||101 subjects||N/A||Erythromycin|
|Kobayashi et al.|
|Open-labelled study of efficacy and safety||60 subjects (efficacy data on 52 and safety data on 55)||12 weeks||Azithromycin|
|Kadota et al.|
|Prospective open-labelled study||10 subjects||4 years||Clarithromycin|
Post-transplant bronchiolitis obliterans syndrome (BOS)
Opinions and conclusions
Conflict of interest statement
- Cellular and molecular effects of macrolides on leukocyte function.Curr Pharm Des. 2004; 10: 3067-3080
- Chronic macrolide therapy in inflammatory airways diseases.Chest. 2010 Nov; 138: 1202-1212
- Immunomodulatory activity and effectiveness of macrolides in chronic airway disease.Chest. 2004 Feb; 125: 70S-78S
- Macrolides for diffuse panbronchiolitis.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010; : CD007716
- Effects of various drugs on IL-8 production by eosinophils collected from patients with allergic inflammation.Jpn J Antibiot. 1998 Jan; 51: 131-133
- Macrolides for chronic asthma.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2005; : CD002997
- Clarithromycin suppresses airway hyperresponsiveness and inflammation in mouse models of asthma.Eur J Pharmacol. 2009 Aug 15; 616: 236-243
- Azithromycin, clarithromycin and telithromycin inhibit MUC5AC induction by Chlamydophila pneumoniae in airway epithelial cells.Pulm Pharmacol Ther. 2009 Dec; 22: 580-586
- Effect of clarithromycin on cytokines and chemokines in children with an acute exacerbation of recurrent wheezing: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial.Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2006 Oct; 97: 457-463
- Clarithromycin inhibits overproduction of muc5ac core protein in murine model of diffuse panbronchiolitis.Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2003 Oct; 285: L847-L853
- Azithromycin improves macrophage phagocytic function and expression of mannose receptor in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2008 Jul 15; 178: 139-148
- Low-dose azithromycin improves phagocytosis of bacteria by both alveolar and monocyte-derived macrophages in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease subjects.Respirology. 2012 Jul; 17: 802-807
- Azithromycin retards Pseudomonas aeruginosa biofilm formation.J Clin Microbiol. 2004 Dec; 42 ([Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't Research Support, U.S. Gov't, P.H.S.]): 5842-5845
- Quorum-sensing antagonistic activities of azithromycin in Pseudomonas aeruginosa PAO1: a global approach.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2006 May; 50 ([Comparative Study Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't]): 1680-1688
- Macrolide antibiotics and cystic fibrosis.Thorax. 2002 Mar; 57: 189-190
- Impact of gastro-oesophageal reflux disease symptoms on COPD exacerbation.Thorax. 2008 Nov; 63: 951-955
- Gastro-oesophageal reflux and aspiration of gastric contents in adult patients with cystic fibrosis.Gut. 2008 Aug; 57: 1049-1055
- Azithromycin reduces gastroesophageal reflux and aspiration in lung transplant recipients.Dig Dis Sci. 2009 May; 54: 972-979
- Clarithromycin inhibits fibroblast migration.Respir Med. 2008 Dec; 102: 1769-1776
- Clarithromycin delays progression of bronchial epithelial cells from G1 phase to S phase and delays cell growth via extracellular signal-regulated protein kinase suppression.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2006 May; 50: 1738-1744
- Azithromycin blocks autophagy and may predispose cystic fibrosis patients to mycobacterial infection.J Clin Invest. 2011 Sep; 121: 3554-3563
- Multicenter study of prevalence of nontuberculous mycobacteria in patients with cystic fibrosis in france.J Clin Microbiol. 2009 Dec; 47: 4124-4128
- Chronic Mycobacterium abscessus infection and lung function decline in cystic fibrosis.J Cyst Fibros. 2010 Mar; 9: 117-123
- Antibiotic treatment for cystic fibrosis: report of the UK Cystic Fibrosis Trust Antibiotic Working Group.(Foundation patient registry 2008 annual data report)2009 (London, UK)
- A widely available method for the assessment of aerosol delivery in cystic fibrosis.Pulm Pharmacol Ther. 2002; 15: 513-519
- Inhaled medication and inhalation devices for lung disease in patients with cystic fibrosis: a European consensus.J Cyst Fibros. 2009 Sep; 8: 295-315
- Adherence to nebulised antibiotics in cystic fibrosis.Patient Educ Couns. 2009 Apr; 75: 141-144
- Update on infection and antibiotics in asthma.Curr Allergy Asthma Rep. 2010 Jan; 10: 67-73
- Inhibition of methylprednisolone elimination in the presence of clarithromycin therapy.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1999 Jun; 103: 1031-1035
- Clarithromycin potentiates glucocorticoid responsiveness in patients with asthma: results of a pilot study.Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2001 Dec; 87: 501-505
- Anti-inflammatory effects of macrolides in lung disease.Pediatr Pulmonol. 2001 Jun; 31: 464-473
- The effect of troleandomycin on methylprednisolone elimination.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1980 Dec; 66: 447-451
- Effect of azithromycin on the severity of bronchial hyperresponsiveness in patients with mild asthma.J Asthma. 2002 Apr; 39: 181-185
- Roxithromycin reduces the degree of bronchial hyperresponsiveness in children with asthma.Chest. 1994 Aug; 106: 458-461
- Role of tumor necrosis factor alpha in asthma.Immunol Allergy Clin North Am. 2004 Nov; 24 ([v-vi]): 583-597
- Sputum IL-6 concentrations in severe asthma and its relationship with FEV1.Thorax. 2011 Jun; 66: 537
- The use of macrolide antibiotic substances in the treatment of asthma.J Allergy. 1970 Mar; 45: 146-162
- Troleandromycin: effectiveness in steroid-dependent asthma and bronchitis.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1974; 54: 367-379
- Effect of low-dose troleandomycin on glucocorticoid pharmacokinetics and airway hyperresponsiveness in severely asthmatic children.Ann Allergy. 1990 Jul; 65: 37-45
- Clarithromycin suppresses bronchial hyperresponsiveness associated with eosinophilic inflammation in patients with asthma.Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2000 Jun; 84: 594-598
- Trial of roxithromycin in subjects with asthma and serological evidence of infection with Chlamydia pneumoniae.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2001 Aug 15; 164: 536-541
- Efficacy and safety of low-dose troleandomycin therapy in children with severe, steroid-requiring asthma.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1993 Apr; 91: 873-882
- Clarithromycin reduces the severity of bronchial hyperresponsiveness in patients with asthma.Eur Respir J. 2004 May; 23: 714-717
- Mycoplasma pneumoniae and Chlamydia pneumoniae in asthma: effect of clarithromycin.Chest. 2002 Jun; 121: 1782-1788
- A double-blind study of troleandomycin and methylprednisolone in asthmatic subjects who require daily corticosteroids.Am Rev Respir Dis. 1993 Feb; 147: 398-404
- Anti-inflammatory effect of roxithromycin in patients with aspirin-intolerant asthma.Clin Exp Allergy. 1999 Jul; 29: 950-956
- Clarithromycin targets neutrophilic airway inflammation in refractory asthma.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2008 Jan 15; 177: 148-155
- Measuring quality of life in asthma.Am Rev Respir Dis. 1993 Apr; 147: 832-838
- Azithromycin reduces bronchial hyperresponsiveness and neutrophilic airway inflammation in asthmatic children: a preliminary report.Allergy Asthma Proc. 2007 Mar-Apr; 28: 194-198
- Secondary outcomes of a pilot randomized trial of azithromycin treatment for asthma.PLoS Clin Trial. 2006 Jun; 1: e11
- UK National COPD Audit 2003: impact of hospital resources and organisation of care on patient outcome following admission for acute COPD exacerbation.Thorax. 2006 Oct; 61 ([Multicenter study]): 837-842
- Severe acute exacerbations and mortality in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.Thorax. 2005 Nov; 60: 925-931
- Role of macrolide therapy in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.Int J Chronic Obstructive Pulm Dis. 2008; 3 ([Research Support, N.I.H., Extramural Research Support, U.S. Gov't, Non-P.H.S. Review]): 331-350
- Prospective, comparative study (1994–1998) of the influence of short-term prophylactic treatment with azithromycin on patients with advanced COPD.Revista espanola de quimioterapia: publicacion oficial de la Sociedad Espanola de Quimioterapia. 2000 Dec; 13 ([Clinical Trial Comparative Study Randomized Controlled Trial]): 379-383
- Azithromycin for prevention of exacerbations of COPD.N Engl J Med. 2011 Aug 25; 365 ([Multicenter Study Randomized Controlled Trial Research Support, N.I.H., Extramural]): 689-698
- The effect of oral clarithromycin on health status and sputum bacteriology in stable COPD.Respir Med. 2005 Feb; 99 ([Clinical Trial Randomized Controlled Trial Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't]): 208-215
- Nursing assistance by a home care team after the death of the patient.Rev Bras Enferm. 1998 Jul-Sep; 51: 379-392
- Effect of 6 months of erythromycin treatment on inflammatory cells in induced sputum and exacerbations in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.Respiration. 2010; 80 ([Randomized Controlled Trial Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't]): 445-452
- Long-term erythromycin therapy is associated with decreased chronic obstructive pulmonary disease exacerbations.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2008 Dec 1; 178 ([Randomized Controlled Trial Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't]): 1139-1147
- Pulsed moxifloxacin for the prevention of exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a randomized controlled trial.Respir Res. 2010; 11 ([Randomized Controlled Trial Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't]): 10
- Cystic fibrosis.N Engl J Med. 2005 May 12; 352: 1992-2001
- Cystic fibrosis.Lancet. 2009 May 30; 373: 1891-1904
- Identification of the cystic fibrosis gene: chromosome walking and jumping.Science. 1989 Sep 8; 245: 1059-1065
- Targeting the basic defect in cystic fibrosis.N Engl J Med. 2010 Nov 18; 363: 2056-2057
- Pulmonary exacerbation: towards a definition for use in clinical trials. Report from the EuroCareCF Working Group on outcome parameters in clinical trials.J Cyst Fibros. 2011 Jun; 10: S79-S81
- Ten years of viral and non-bacterial serology in adults with cystic fibrosis.Epidemiol Infect. 2008 Jan; 136: 128-134
- New concepts of the pathogenesis of cystic fibrosis lung disease.Eur Respir J. 2004 Jan; 23: 146-158
- Prophylactic antibiotics for cystic fibrosis.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2003; : CD001912
- Long-term azithromycin may improve lung function in children with cystic fibrosis.Lancet. 1998 Feb 7; 351: 420
- Effect of long term treatment with azithromycin on disease parameters in cystic fibrosis: a randomised trial.Thorax. 2002 Mar; 57: 212-216
- Azithromycin in patients with cystic fibrosis chronically infected with Pseudomonas aeruginosa: a randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 2003 Oct 1; 290: 1749-1756
- Clinical response to azithromycin in cystic fibrosis correlates with in vitro effects on Pseudomonas aeruginosa phenotypes.Pediatr Pulmonol. 2007 Jun; 42: 533-541
- Long term effects of azithromycin in patients with cystic fibrosis: a double blind, placebo controlled trial.Thorax. 2006 Oct; 61: 895-902
- Macrolide antibiotics for cystic fibrosis.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2004; : CD002203
- Daily versus weekly azithromycin in cystic fibrosis patients.Eur Respir J. 2007 Sep; 30: 487-495
- Improved lung function and body mass index associated with long-term use of macrolide antibiotics.J Cyst Fibros. 2003 Jun; 2: 69-71
- Long-term azitromycin treatment of cystic fibrosis patients with chronic Pseudomonas aeruginosa infection; an observational cohort study.J Cyst Fibros. 2005 Mar; 4: 35-40
- Long-term daily high and low doses of azithromycin in children with cystic fibrosis: a randomized controlled trial.J Cyst Fibros. 2010 Jan; 9: 17-23
- Azithromycin in cystic fibrosis.Eur Respir J. 2005 Apr; 25 (author reply -2): 771
- Pseudomonas aeruginosa and other predictors of mortality and morbidity in young children with cystic fibrosis.Pediatr Pulmonol. 2002 Aug; 34: 91-100
- Antibiotic treatment of initial colonization with Pseudomonas aeruginosa postpones chronic infection and prevents deterioration of pulmonary function in cystic fibrosis.Pediatr Pulmonol. 1997 May; 23: 330-335
- Prevention of chronic Pseudomonas aeruginosa colonisation in cystic fibrosis by early treatment.Lancet. 1991 Sep 21; 338: 725-726
- A randomised clinical trial of nebulised tobramycin or colistin in cystic fibrosis.Eur Respir J. 2002 Sep; 20: 658-664
- Intermittent administration of inhaled tobramycin in patients with cystic fibrosis. Cystic Fibrosis Inhaled Tobramycin Study Group.N Engl J Med. 1999 Jan 7; 340: 23-30
- Nebulised colomycin for early pseudomonas colonisation in cystic fibrosis.Lancet. 1985 Apr 13; 1: 865
- Dry powder versus intravenous and nebulized gentamicin in cystic fibrosis and bronchiectasis. A pilot study.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1999 Nov; 160: 1711-1716
- Microbiology, safety, and pharmacokinetics of aztreonam lysinate for inhalation in patients with cystic fibrosis.Pediatr Pulmonol. 2006 Jul; 41: 656-665
- A randomized double-blinded placebo-controlled crossover trial of nebulized taurolidine in adult cystic fibrosis patients infected with Burkholderia cepacia.J Aerosol Med. 2002; 15 (Spring): 51-57
- Significant microbiological effect of inhaled tobramycin in young children with cystic fibrosis.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2003 Mar 15; 167: 841-849
- Effect of chronic intermittent administration of inhaled tobramycin on respiratory microbial flora in patients with cystic fibrosis.J Infect Dis. 1999 May; 179: 1190-1196
- Inhaled antibiotics for long-term therapy in cystic fibrosis.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2011; : CD001021
- Clinical perspective on aztreonam lysine for inhalation in patients with cystic fibrosis.Infect Drug Resist. 2010; 3: 123-132
- Inhaled aztreonam lysine for chronic airway Pseudomonas aeruginosa in cystic fibrosis.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2008 Nov 1; 178: 921-928
- Efficacy and safety of inhaled aztreonam lysine for airway pseudomonas in cystic fibrosis.Chest. 2009 May; 135: 1223-1232
- An 18-month study of the safety and efficacy of repeated courses of inhaled aztreonam lysine in cystic fibrosis.Pediatr Pulmonol. 2010 Nov; 45: 1121-1134
- Levofloxacin inhalation solution (MP-376) in patients with cystic fibrosis with Pseudomonas aeruginosa.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2011 Jun 1; 183: 1510-1516
- Multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study (ORBIT 1) to evaluate the efficacy, safety, and tolerability of once daily ciprofloxacin for inhalation in the management of Pseudomonas aeruginosa infections in patients with non-cystic fibrosis bronchiectasis.Eur Respir J. 2011; 38: 333S
- BTS statement on criteria for specialist referral, admission, discharge and follow-up for adults with respiratory disease.Thorax. 2008 Mar; 63 ([Practice Guideline Review]): i1-i16
- PROLONGED antibiotic treatment of severe bronchiectasis; a report by a subcommittee of the Antibiotics Clinical Trials (non-tuberculous) Committee of the Medical Research Council.Br Med J. 1957 Aug 3; 2: 255-259
- Double-blind randomized study of prolonged higher-dose oral amoxycillin in purulent bronchiectasis.Q J Med. 1990 Aug; 76 ([Clinical Trial Randomized Controlled Trial Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't]): 799-816
- Azithromycin for prevention of exacerbations in non-cystic fibrosis bronchiectasis (EMBRACE): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.Lancet. 2012 Aug 18; 380: 660-667
- Prophylactic antibiotic treatment of bronchiectasis with azithromycin.Thorax. 2004 Jun; 59 ([Letter]): 540-541
- Inhaled tobramycin in non-cystic fibrosis patients with bronchiectasis and chronic bronchial infection with Pseudomonas aeruginosa.Ann Pharmacother. 2005 Jan; 39 ([Clinical Trial Randomized Controlled Trial]): 39-44
- A randomized controlled trial of nebulized gentamicin in non-cystic fibrosis bronchiectasis.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2011 Feb 15; 183: 491-499
- Inhaled antibiotic therapy in non-cystic fibrosis patients with bronchiectasis and chronic bronchial infection by Pseudomonas aeruginosa.Respir Med. 1999 Jul; 93 ([Clinical Trial Randomized Controlled Trial]): 476-480
- Effects of claritromycin on inflammatory parameters and clinical conditions in children with bronchiectasis.J Clin Pharm Ther. 2006 Feb; 31 ([Randomized Controlled Trial]): 49-55
- Tobramycin solution for inhalation reduces sputum Pseudomonas aeruginosa density in bronchiectasis.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2000 Aug; 162 ([Clinical Trial Clinical Trial, Phase II Randomized Controlled Trial Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't]): 481-485
- British Thoracic Society guideline for non-CF bronchiectasis.Thorax. 2010 Jul; 65 ([Practice Guideline Review]): i1-58
- Diffuse panbronchiolitis. A disease of the transitional zone of the lung.Chest. 1983 Jan; 83: 63-69
- Diffuse panbronchiolitis in China: analysis of 45 cases.Chin Med J (Engl). 2007 Nov 20; 120: 2046-2048
- Diffuse panbronchiolitis.Chest. 1991 Sep; 100: 596-597
- Improvement of survival in patients with diffuse panbronchiolitis treated with low-dose erythromycin.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1998 Jun; 157: 1829-1832
- Clinical effects of low-dose long-term erythromycin chemotherapy on diffuse panbronchiolitis.Nihon Kyobu Shikkan Gakkai Zasshi. 1987 Jun; 25: 632-642
- Effect of clarithromycin on sputum production and its rheological properties in chronic respiratory tract infections.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1995 Aug; 39: 1688-1690
- Long-term efficacy and safety of clarithromycin treatment in patients with diffuse panbronchiolitis.Respir Med. 2003 Jul; 97: 844-850
- Clinical and immunoregulatory effects of roxithromycin therapy for chronic respiratory tract infection.Eur Respir J. 1999 Jun; 13: 1371-1379
- Study on azithromycin in treatment of diffuse panbronchiolitis.Kansenshogaku Zasshi. 1995 Jun; 69: 711-722
- Diffuse panbronchiolitis: follow-up CT examination.Radiology. 1993 Nov; 189: 559-562
- Bronchiolitis obliterans after lung transplantation: a review.Chest. 1998 Nov; 114: 1411-1426
- Improvement in bronchiolitis obliterans organizing pneumonia in a child after allogeneic bone marrow transplantation by a combination of oral prednisolone and low dose erythromycin.Bone Marrow Transplant. 2000 Oct; 26: 907-910
- Obliterative bronchiolitis after lung and heart-lung transplantation. An analysis of risk factors and management.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1995 Jul; 110 ([discussion -4]): 4-13
- Maintenance azithromycin therapy for bronchiolitis obliterans syndrome: results of a pilot study.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2003 Jul 1; 168: 121-125
- Azithromycin therapy for patients with bronchiolitis obliterans syndrome after lung transplantation.Transplantation. 2004 May 15; 77: 1465-1467
- Azithromycin reduces airway neutrophilia and interleukin-8 in patients with bronchiolitis obliterans syndrome.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2006 Sep 1; 174: 566-570
- Long-term azithromycin use for treatment of bronchiolitis obliterans syndrome in lung transplant recipients.J Heart Lung Transplant. 2005 Sep; 24: 1440-1443
- Azithromycin reverses airflow obstruction in established bronchiolitis obliterans syndrome.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2005 Sep 15; 172: 772-775
- Azithromycin in bronchiolitis obliterans: is the evidence strong enough?.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2006 Feb 15; 173 ([author reply 6]): 465-466
- Long-term azithromycin for bronchiolitis obliterans syndrome after lung transplantation.Transplantation. 2008 Jan 15; 85: 36-41
- Chlamydia pneumoniae serology in donors and recipients and the risk of bronchiolitis obliterans syndrome after lung transplantation.Transplantation. 2005 Feb 15; 79: 269-275
- Chlamydia pneumoniae infection after lung transplantation.J Heart Lung Transplant. 2005 Feb; 24: 131-136
- Macrolides and ketolides: azithromycin, clarithromycin, telithromycin.Infect Dis Clin North Am. 2004 Sep; 18 ([xi-]): 621-649
- Pharmacokinetics of azithromycin in plasma, blood, polymorphonuclear neutrophils and sputum during long-term therapy in patients with cystic fibrosis.Ther Drug Monit. 2006 Apr; 28: 219-225
- Comparative anti-inflammatory effects of roxithromycin, azithromycin and clarithromycin.J Antimicrob Chemother. 1998 Mar; 41: 47-50
- Long-term therapeutic effects of erythromycin and newquinolone antibacterial agents on diffuse panbronchiolitis.Nihon Kyobu Shikkan Gakkai Zasshi. 1990 Oct; 28: 1305-1313
User LicenseElsevier user license |
For non-commercial purposes:
- Read, print & download
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
Elsevier's open access license policy