- •Frequency of sauna bathing is inversely associated with future risk of pneumonia.
- •The association is independent of several major risk factors for pneumonia.
- •The association seems to be consistent with a graded dose-response relationship.
- Zaccardi F.
- Laukkanen T.
- Willeit P.
- Kunutsor S.K.
- Kauhanen J.
- Laukkanen J.A.
2. Materials and methods
|Frequency of sauna bathing (times/week)||Events/|
|Model 1||Model 2||Model 3|
|HR (95% CI)||P-value||HR (95% CI)||P-value||HR (95% CI)||P-value|
|2–3||234/1441||0.67 (0.53–0.83)||<0.001||0.69 (0.55–0.86)||0.001||0.72 (0.57–0.90)||0.007|
|≥4||22/190||0.53 (0.34–0.84)||0.007||0.56 (0.35–0.88)||0.013||0.63 (0.39–1.00)||0.049|
|P-value for trend||0.0001||0.0004||0.0034|
Conflict of interest
- Benefits and risks of sauna bathing.Am. J. Med. 2001; 110: 118-126
- The sauna and bathing in different countries.Ann. Clin. Res. 1988; 20: 230-235
- The sauna and rheumatic diseases.Ann. Clin. Res. 1988; 20: 271-275
- Efficacy of regular sauna bathing for chronic tension-type headache: a randomized controlled study.J. Altern. Complement. Med. 2015; 21: 103-109
- The sauna, skin and skin diseases.Ann. Clin. Res. 1988; 20: 276-278
- Sauna bathing and incident hypertension: a prospective cohort study.Am. J. Hypertens. 2017 Jun 13; ([Epub ahead of print])https://doi.org/10.1093/ajh/hpx102
- Association between sauna bathing and fatal cardiovascular and all-cause mortality events.JAMA Intern. Med. 2015; 175: 542-548
- Sauna bathing is inversely associated with dementia and Alzheimer's disease in middle-aged Finnish men.Age Ageing. 2017; 46: 245-249
- Viral pneumonia.Lancet. 2011; 377: 1264-1275
- Community-acquired pneumonia: an unfinished battle.Med. Clin. North Am. 2011; 95: 1143-1161
- Lungs and ventilation in sauna.Ann. Clin. Res. 1988; 20: 244-248
- Regular sauna bathing and the incidence of common colds.Ann. Med. 1990; 22: 225-227
- Sauna bathing reduces the risk of respiratory diseases: a long-term prospective cohort study.Eur. J. Epidemiol. 2017 Sep 13; https://doi.org/10.1007/s10654-017-0311
- Lung inflammatory response in pneumonia.Monaldi Arch. Chest Dis. 1998; 53: 56-63
- Changes of serum concentration of lipid peroxidation products in patients with pneumonia.Monaldi Arch. Chest Dis. 1996; 51: 188-193
- The effect of a single Finnish sauna bath after aerobic exercise on the oxidative status in healthy men.Scand. J. Clin. Lab. Invest. 2014; 74: 89-94
User LicenseElsevier user license |
For non-commercial purposes:
- Read, print & download
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
Elsevier's open access license policy