- •Current Knowledge/Study Rationale: Sleep quality is compromised in IPF patients.
- •Results: RLS is prevalent and severe in IPF and concurs to worsen sleep quality.
- •Study impact: Treatment of RLS in patients with IPF could ameliorate sleep quality and, in turn, quality of life.
Abbreviations:IPF (Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis), RLS (Restless legs syndrome), COPD (Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), OSAS (Obstructive sleep apnea syndrome), PSQI (Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index)
Purchase one-time access:Academic and Personal
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis.Lancet. 2017; 389: 1941-1952
- Diagnosis of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. An official ATS/ERS/JRS/ALAT clinical practice guideline.Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 2018; 198: e44-e68
- Incidence and prevalence of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis: review of the literature.Eur. Respir. Rev. 2012; 21: 355-361
- Comorbidities in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis patients: a systematic literature review.Eur. Respir. J. 2015; 46: 1113-1130
- Sleep and respiratory sleep disorders in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis.Sleep Med. Rev. 2016; 26: 57-63
- Breathing during sleep in patients with interstitial lung disease.Am. Rev. Respir. Dis. 1985; 132: 224-229
- Sleep as a new target for improving outcomes in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis.Chest. 2017; 152: 1327-1338
- The International Classification of Sleep Disorders - Diagnostic and Coding Manual.third ed. 2014 (Westchester, IL)
- Epidemiology of restless legs syndrome: a synthesis of the literature.Sleep Med. Rev. 2012; 16: 283-295
- An official ATS/ERS/JRS/ALAT statement: idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis: evidence-based guidelines for diagnosis and management.Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 2011; 183: 788-824
- Restless legs syndrome: diagnostic criteria, special considerations, and epidemiology. A report from the restless legs syndrome diagnosis and epidemiology workshop at the National Institutes of Health.Sleep Med. 2003; 4: 101-119
- Validation of the international restless legs syndrome study group rating scale for restless legs syndrome.Sleep Med. 2003; 4: 121-132
- Validity of the Italian version of the Pittsburgh sleep quality index (PSQI).Neurol. Sci. 2013; 34: 511-519
- The Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index: a new instrument for psychiatric practice and research.Psychiatr. Res. 1989; 28: 193-213
- A multidimensional index and staging system for idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis.Ann. Intern. Med. 2012; 156: 684-691
- Restless legs syndrome associated with major diseases: a systematic review and new concept.Neurology. 2016; 86: 1336-1343
- OSA and prolonged oxygen desaturation during sleep are strong predictors of poor outcome in IPF.Lung. 2017; 195: 643-651
- Epidemiology of insomnia: what we know and what we still need to learn.Sleep Med. Rev. 2002; 6: 97-111
- Restless legs syndrome, sleep impairment, and fatigue in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.Sleep Med. 2012; 13: 842-847