- •One in four COPD patients did not complete a pulmonary rehabilitation (PR) program.
- •Elevated anxiety and dyspnea were predictors of early dropout of PR.
- •Younger age and reduced exercise capacity were associated with dropout from PR.
- •Intensive strategies are needed to support and adherence at the start of PR program.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Global strategy for the diagnosis, management, and prevention of chronic obstructive lung disease: the GOLD science committee report 2019.Eur. Respir. J. 2019; 53: 1900164
- On behalf of the American thoracic society assembly on pulmonary rehabilitation. Defining modern pulmonary rehabilitation an official American thoracic society workshop report.Ann. Am. Thorac. Soc. 2021; 18: e12-e29
- Management of dyspnea and anxiety in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a critical review.JAMDA. 2017; 18: 1096 e1-1096 e17
- Predictors of success and failure in pulmonary rehabilitation.Eur. Respir. J. 2006; 27: 788-794
- Effectiveness, attendance, and completion of an integrated, system-wide pulmonary rehabilitation service for COPD: prospective observational study.COPD. 2012; 9: 546-554
- Pulmonary rehabilitation in the United Kingdom.Chron. Respir. Dis. 2011; 8: 193-199
- Depressed mood predicts pulmonary rehabilitation completion among women, but not men.Respir. Med. 2014; 108: 1007-1013
- The responsiveness of the Anxiety Inventory for Respiratory Disease (AIR) scale following pulmonary rehabilitation.Chest. 2016; 150: 188-195
- The St george's respiratory questionnaire.Respir. Med. 1991; 85: 25-31
- The development and validation of the Anxiety Inventory for Respiratory disease.Chest. 2013; 144 (1587-159)
- Psychology Foundation, Sydney, Australia1995 Manual for the Depression Anxiety Stress Scale. second ed.
- Usefulness of the Medical Research Council (MRC) dyspnoea scale as a measure of disability in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.Thorax. 1999; 54: 581-586
- Development of a shuttle walking test of disability in patients with chronic airways obstruction.Thorax. 1992; 47: 1019-1024
- An evaluation of factors associated with completion and benefit from pulmonary rehabilitation in COPD.BMJ Open. Resp. Res. 2014; 1e000051
- Confounding and collinearity in regression analysis: a cautionary tale and an alternative procedure, illustrated by studies of British voting behaviour.Qual. Quantity. 2018; 52: 1957-1976
- Exercise training in COPD: how to distinguish responders from non-responders.J. Cardpulm. Rehabil. 2001; 21: 10-17
- Supervised pulmonary tele-rehabilitation versus pulmonary rehabilitation in severe COPD: a randomized controlled trial.Thorax. 2020; 75: 413-421
- Determinants of successful completion of pulmonary rehabilitation in COPD.Int. J. Chronic Obstr. Pulm. Dis. 2016; 11: 391-397
- Anxiety and depression in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: recognition and management.J. Fam. Pract. 2018; 67: S11-S18
- Why are COPD patients unable to complete the outpatient pulmonary rehabilitation program.Chron. Respir. Dis. 2018; 15: 411-418
- Pulmonary rehabilitation and improved survival for patients with COPD.JAMA. 2020; 323: 1783-1785
- Multivariate analysis verses multiple univariate analyses.Psychol. Bull. 1989; 105: 302-308