- •There is high heterogeneity of outcomes measured in pulmonary rehabilitation.
- •It hinders benchmarking and evidence synthesis, hence a core outcome set is needed.
- •Different stakeholders from 14 countries were interviewed.
- •28 crucial outcomes and advantages/disadvantages of 68 measures were identified.
- •Meaningful outcomes, similar assessment and feasible measures across settings are needed.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Pulmonary rehabilitation for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.Cochrane Database Syst. Rev. 2015; Cd003793
- Differential response to pulmonary rehabilitation in COPD: multidimensional profiling.Eur. Respir. J. 2015; 46: 1625-1635
- Differences in content and organisational aspects of pulmonary rehabilitation programmes.Eur. Respir. J. 2014; 43: 1326-1337
- Functional status following pulmonary rehabilitation: responders and non-responders.J. Clin. Med. 2022; 11: 518
- Pulmonary rehabilitation outcomes in individuals with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a systematic review.Ann. Phys. Rehabilat. Med. 2021; 65101564
- An official American thoracic society/European respiratory society policy statement: enhancing implementation, use, and delivery of pulmonary rehabilitation.Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 2015; 192: 1373-1386
- Developing core outcome sets for clinical trials: issues to consider.Trials. 2012; 13: 132
- The COMET Handbook: version 1.0.Trials. 2017; 18: 280
- OMERACT: an international initiative to improve outcome measurement in rheumatology.Trials. 2007; 8 (38-38)
- Global Strategy for the Diagnosis, Management and Prevention of COPD, Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease (GOLD).2019
- An official American Thoracic Society/European Respiratory Society statement: research questions in COPD.Eur. Respir. J. 2015; 45: 879-905
- Maximising the data potential in COPD research.Lancet Respir. Med. 2017; 5: 535
- Heterogeneity of pulmonary rehabilitation: like apples and oranges - both healthy fruit.Eur. Respir. J. 2014; 43: 1223-1226
- Pulmonary rehabilitation for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: has it peaked?.Respirology. 2019; 24: 103-104
- Are we delivering optimal pulmonary rehabilitation? The importance of quality indicators in evaluating clinical practice.Phys. Ther. 2018; 98: 541-548
- Triangulated perspectives on outcomes of pulmonary rehabilitation in patients with COPD: a qualitative study to inform a core outcome set.Clin. Rehabil. 2019; 33: 805-814
- Consolidated criteria for reporting qualitative research (COREQ): a 32-item checklist for interviews and focus groups.Int. J. Qual. Health Care. 2007; 19: 349-357
V. Braun, V. Clarke, Successful Qualitative Research: A Practical Guide for Beginners, sage2013.
- Three approaches to qualitative content analysis.Qual. Health Res. 2005; 15: 1277-1288
- Using thematic analysis in psychology.Qual. Res. Psychol. 2006; 3: 77-101
- Thematic analysis:striving to meet the trustworthiness criteria.Int. J. Qual. Methods. 2017; 161609406917733847
- Defining modern pulmonary rehabilitation. An official American thoracic society workshop report.Ann. Am. Thorac. Soc. 2021; 18: e12-e29
- Development of a standard set of outcome domains and proposed measures for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in primary care physical therapy practice in The Netherlands: a modified RAND/UCLA appropriateness method.Int. J. Chronic Obstr. Pulm. Dis. 2019; 14: 2649-2661
- Comprehensive lung function assessment does not allow to infer response to pulmonary rehabilitation in patients with COPD.J. Clin. Med. 2019; 8: 27
- Effectiveness of pulmonary rehabilitation in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease with different degrees of static lung hyperinflation.Arch. Phys. Med. Rehabil. 2018; 99 (e3): 2279-2286
- Exploring health literacy needs in Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD): associations between demographic, clinical variables, psychological well-being and health literacy.Heart Lung. 2021; 50: 417-424
- Health literacy and health outcomes in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.Respir. Med. 2016; 115: 78-82
- How to select outcome measurement instruments for outcomes included in a “Core Outcome Set” – a practical guideline.Trials. 2016; 17: 449
- OMERACT The Omeract Handbook. 2021Version: version 2.1
- Assessing the relevance and uptake of core outcome sets (an agreed minimum collection of outcomes to measure in research studies) in Cochrane systematic reviews: a review.BMJ Open. 2020; 10e036562
- Choosing important health outcomes for comparative effectiveness research: 5th annual update to a systematic review of core outcome sets for research.PLoS One. 2019; 14e0225980