- •This is the first study to evaluate Infant Pulmonary Function Tests in Down Syndrome.
- •We show that most infants with Down have reduced expiratory flows.
- •The reduced expiratory flows are mainly seen at low lung volumes.
- •Thus, the reduced expiratory flows are probably due to small airway obstruction.
- •This small airway obstruction, is largely unresponsive to bronchodilators.
Background and objective
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Down syndrome.N. Engl. J. Med. 2020; 382: 2344-2352
- Health supervision for children with Down syndrome.Pediatrics. 2011; 128: 393-406
- Down's syndrome.Lancet. 2003; 361: 1281-1289
- Mortality associated with Down's syndrome in the USA from 1983 to 1997: a population-based study.Lancet. 2002; 359: 1019-1025
- Variation over time in medical conditions and health service utilization of children with Down syndrome.J. Pediatr. 2011; 158: 194-200 e1
- Mortality and causes of death in persons with Down syndrome in California.Dev. Med. Child Neurol. 2005; 47: 171-176
- Pulmonary complications and chronic conditions of Down syndrome during childhood: an agenda for clinical care and research.J. Pediatr. 2011; 158: 178-179
- Pulmonary complications of Down syndrome during childhood.J. Pediatr. 2011; 158: 319-325
- Clinical and cardiorespiratory assessment in children with Down syndrome without congenital heart disease.Arch. Pediatr. Adolesc. Med. 2000; 154: 408-410
- Quality of pulmonary function tests in participants with down syndrome.Arch. Bronconeumol. 2019; 55: 513-518
- Pulmonary function in young adults with Down syndrome: a cross-sectional study.International Medical Review on Down Syndrome. 2016; 20: 17-20
- Effect of rowing on pulmonary functions in children with Down syndrome.Pediatr. Phys. Ther. 2014; 26: 437-445
- Pulmonary functions, respiratory muscle strength and motor skills in children with down syndrome: a comparative study.Eur Respiratory Soc. 2017;
- Lung function in children with down syndrome.C28 PEDIATRIC RESPIRATORY PHYSIOLOGY. American Thoracic Society. 2020; (A4672-A)
- The use of infant pulmonary function testing in the diagnosis of neuroendocrine cell hyperplasia of infancy.Chest. 2021;
- Tidal forced expirations. ERS/ATS task force on standards for infant respiratory function testing.European Respiratory Society/American Thoracic Society. Eur Respir J. 2000; 16: 741-748
- Specifications for equipment used for infant pulmonary function testing. ERS/ATS task force on standards for infant respiratory function testing.European Respiratory Society/American Thoracic Society. The European respiratory journal. 2000; 16: 731-740
- Tidal breath analysis for infant pulmonary function testing. ERS/ATS task force on standards for infant respiratory function testing.European Respiratory Society/American Thoracic Society. Eur Respir J. 2000; 16: 1180-1192
- Infant pulmonary function testing in chronic pneumonitis of infancy due to surfactant protein C mutation.Pediatr. Pulmonol. 2015; 50: E17-E23
- Bronchodilator responsiveness in wheezy infants predicts continued early childhood respiratory morbidity.J. Asthma. 2016; 53: 707-713
- Forced expiratory flows and volumes in infants. Normative data and lung growth.Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 2000; 161: 353-359
- Functional residual capacity (FRC) measurements by plethysmography and helium dilution in normal infants.Pediatr. Pulmonol. 1995; 19: 282-290
- Adult-type pulmonary function tests in infants without respiratory disease.Pediatr. Pulmonol. 2000; 30: 215-227
- Passive respiratory mechanics in healthy infants. Effects of growth, gender, and smoking.Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 1996; 154: 670-680
- Sex-specific prediction equations for Vmax(FRC) in infancy: a multicenter collaborative study.Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 2002; 165: 1084-1092
- ATS/ERS statement: raised volume forced expirations in infants: guidelines for current practice.Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 2005; 172: 1463-1471
- Pulmonary function and chest expansion in Thai boys with Down syndrome.Thammasat Medical Journal. 2012; 12: 269-275
- Airwave oscillometry to measure lung function in children with Down syndrome.Pediatr. Res. 2021;